- Every part carefully designed and made for its intended purpose. No off-the-shelf or inferior parts or material.
- Rust free and virtually maintenance free.
- No clumsy heavy shims or boards.
- No chains, cables or cast-iron gears.
- Thickness infinitely variable from 0 to 2¾ inches.
- Slabs can be rolled in either direction and clay can be added or subtracted at any time.
- Roll slabs up to 22" wide. The length of the slab is limited only by the space and canvas available.
- Tapered slabs are quick, easy and precise.
- Warping, curling and cracking are drastically reduced.
- All machines accept press molds and a wide variety of texturing material such as burlap, plant materials, rope, cork and bark.
The design gives great flexibility in making slabs. Very thin, translucent porcelain slabs and thick, heavily textured architectural slabs are equally easy. A wide variety of other texturing materials and objects can be passed through the machine along with the clay. Slabs can be rolled either direction or reversed on all North Star machines.
Bodies and rolls are made of cast and carefully machined high-strength special alloy aluminum. Gears are made of the strongest material available for this application, nylon or steel. Bushings are nylon and the remaining parts (except plastic gear covers and knobs) are machined steel. Table frames are 14-gauge steel. Tabletops are of moisture-resistant Medex with a melamine surface. Metal surfaces are zinc plated or coated with a durable powder coat finish. Virtually no maintenance is required, and the simplicity of the design ensures that any repair ever needed will be quick and easy.